Home About Us What's On Photos News Extra Contact Us Links

THOUSANDS of pounds have been raised for local and national causes locally over the last few weeks, and will be raised again at a number of forthcoming events this month.

“We have found so much generosity out there!” said Anna Butler, who with friends organised a series of events to raised nearly £2000 in support of a children’s charity in return for a place in last month’s London Marathon.

No doubt there are others who were taking part on April 28 who have raised funds to support one cause or another – if you did, please let us know!

Blandford Carnival Committee has donated to the Red Box of feminine hygiene products at The Blandford School, the family of a Blandford woman who took part in a fundraising event in a hired wheelchair raised £2600 for the Stroke Association, and another local runner raised £700 for a young local boy with complex medical issues.

Hundreds of pounds were raised to support the opening of new larger premises for a Blandford charity, and hundreds more by a group of weight watchers for the Little Princess Trust providing wigs for children with cancer.

Add to that more than £1000 raised for Teddy 20 by the Comedy Exchange, the thousands more which will be raised this weekend by Teddy Rocks, the hundreds of items and pounds donated every week to the Blandford Food Bank, and events supporting that and the other Mayor’s charity this year, The Blandford Opportunity Group.

Then there are thousands of pounds being invested in local projects thanks to the work of volunteers seeking funding from other sources, and the hundreds of hours given every month by volunteers to local groups supporting the community - there’s no doubt that charity begins at home.

Sally Sheldrake, Lydia Bethall and Emma Roberts of Blandford Carnival Committee with donation for the Red Box at The Blandford School